The rough-cut wood that we collected from the sawmill last weeks needs to be sanded ... a big job, as there is over 300 metres of it!
But not all sides need sanding, most of it is one side and one or two of the edges. The quality of the wood, it is red cedar, is very good. So, each length (it is in 2.4 and 2.6 metre lengths, with widths of 75mm, 150mm and 250 mm depending on the job it has to do), is taken out into the garden and we set to work with the trusty De Walt belt sander ... it takes seven hours to complete about 200 of the 300 metres.
While this is going on David sets to work seeing what alterations need to be made to the second french door. This is being used as an internal door, dividing what is the 'Phase 1 space' we are currently working on, from the 'Phase 2' space that we hope to develop next year. We are using an external quality door for extra insulation and security. However, to ensure that we have no door lip that would otherwise make wheelchair access difficult, the bottom edge of the door-frame has to be changed. This requires removing the doors from the unit, so that the frame is free to work on:
It has been a very productive Day 1 of Stage 5: